The Alliance for Beverage Cartons and the Environment is currently looking for a Circular Economy and Sustainability Manager
The beverage carton industry and its European association, ACE
ACE members include beverage carton producers Tetra Pak, SIG Combibloc and Elopak; they develop, manufacture and market systems for the packaging and distribution of food, and produce packaging material at 20 plants in Europe. A great majority of the paperboard used by ACE members in beverage cartons in Europe is produced by Stora Enso and BillerudKorsnäs who are also members of ACE.
ACE provides a European platform for beverage carton manufacturers and their paperboard suppliers to benchmark and profile cartons as renewable, recyclable and low carbon packaging solutions. Engaging with stakeholders and partners seeking high environmental stewardship, it contributes expertise to EU policy, legislation and standard‐setting.
The beverage carton industry is represented in 8 EU member States + Norway by beverage carton national associations. The industry is also represented through Regional Directors in Iberia, Nordics, Italy and South East Europe.
ACE’s mandate is to represent the interests of its members at European level and to coordinate action at EU and national level on advocacy and communications.
The Circular Economy and Sustainability Manager will have a strategic and project management role, developing, coordinating and supporting activities with a focus on implementation of the industry’s 2030 EU Roadmap. She/he will lead on developing the strategic work plans and activities for specific roadmap commitments on climate, carbon, forestry, recycling, plastics etc. in close cooperation with the ACE members and Working Groups. She/he will also coordinate and monitor progress of the commitments and agreed KPI’s / deliverables. The deliverables will be escalated to the ACE Board and companies’ EU senior executives.
The Circular Economy and Sustainability Manager will report to the ACE Director General, headquartered in Brussels.
Location is flexible. Close to Brussels is preferred, but a major European city could be an option.
25% travel required.
The Circular Economy and Sustainability manager shall lead, develop and coordinate the activities together with the ACE members and Working Groups in support of the 2030 roadmap commitments and KPI’s:
- Leading and coordinating the development, implementation and monitoring of strategic work plans on specific commitments to ensure progress towards targets.
- Strategically supporting the relevant ACE working groups with knowledge and insights.
- Identifying sustainability metrics for reporting on various KPI’s and commitments.
- Supporting the Roadmap related work within ACE expert working groups to facilitate exchange of information on topics, potential projects and progress towards joint Roadmap targets for external publication.
- Leading the work with external consultants in support of achieving the Roadmap commitments.
- Monitoring developments with regards to integrated product policies, sustainability and circular economy topics relevant for ACE at European level, in close coordination with ACE colleagues to build up internal knowledge and ability to inform ACE working group members timeously and with the right level of information.
She/he will ensure the relevant alignment with the existing ACE Working Groups and the ACE team.
Education and Experience:
- Around 10 years professional experience preferably related to circular economy, sustainability, and/or the packaging industry or FMCG.
- Proven experience in project management.
- Degree in environmental engineering/ sciences, policy, sustainability or business administration.
Languages: Fluent in written and spoken English. Other languages an asset.
- Knowledge of sustainability topics regarding the packaging industry, in particular product environmental related elements, e.g. recycling, circular economy, climate, plastics, life cycle approaches and biodiversity.
- Knowledge on sustainability reporting and sustainable sourcing standards are an asset.
- Strong ability to build relationships and coalitions.
- Self-going personality with excellent inter-personal and communication skills.
- Culturally sensitive.
- Project management experience across borders and cultures.
Contact: Please address application letters and curriculum vitae to Annick Carpentier, Director General, ACE (email@example.com).